Sunday, November 16, 2008

6x1 Freestyle

I have some very serious issues with this class. I need to work much harder in this class. For a while I've been lolly gagging. I enjoy the class and I respect the teacher very much. the class is very unique in that it shows you how you can make a film that is not done in a traditional way. The projects included all of us using our imaginations rather than using a detailed script. But despite that, the projects all seem to construct some kind of narrative.
I wish that I can start all over again clean. If there was another class like this, I would not hesitate to sign up for it. At first, I thought this class was very easy. But its not. It takes a lot of hard work and effort to do very well in the class. My favorite project was the first one. I really leard a lot about the motion picture projector and I also learn that you can manipulate film to get an image. Until then, I thought that you could not put your hands on film because I always thought hat It was sensitive to touch, and that you can damage it. But the professor showed us that you can scratch it, bleach it, and draw on it. If money was not an issue, I would but me those things and make some short films using the techniques that I learned in class.
Another thing that I personally took from the class is that you can make films using different types of cameras. I was shocked to learn about the Bolex camera. When I first saw it I thought "what the hell is this?" But it turn out to be very invaluable. The Bolex camera was very useful to me in this class and it was also very useful to me in my documentary class. I'd like to own one but there are very expensive. My experience with the camera came on a day when we had to do a one shot assignment. The frames turned out to look like something from the 1940's but it was very funny. Another experience I had with the camera was when I was working on my documentary. It came in very handy when we were in the serpentarium and we were able to get some great shots. I'd like to one one of those cameras but they are very expensive they were used during the sixties and seventies but they produce some of the best images that I ever seen.
My favorite part of the class is the hands on stuff. Me personally, (no disrespect to the teacher) I wish that we didn't have to do the blog stuff. I feel I learned a lot just by watching the teacher work and show us some new things. But at the same time I understand that the reason for the blogs was to make sure that we did all of the reading that were related to this class. The readings covered some very interesting topics; everything from animation theory to plagiarism. Well I guess if you are in college you have to do some readings.
I'm really looking forward to our next assignment; the 48 hour video race. This is going to be very difficult for me. But one of the ideas that I had was using a black and whit camera for my images. It's really going to cost me some money. The great thing about this assignment is that its really going to force me to use my imagination. I don't really know how I'm going to pull this off. But I guess the teacher wouldn't make us do anything that he feels that we cannot do.

No comments: