Sunday, November 2, 2008

No Logo

This was a great documentary on the way big companies market their products. Peersonally, I really don't see the harm in marketing an idea, I think it's very acceptable. This is how companies try to differentiate themselves from other companies. The film seesm to go about it in a very negative way. Granted, I was very upset when they described how companies take jobs from the U.S. and send them overseas.
I was very shocked at to learn that Nike does not make any of it's shoes. Instead they hire a contractor in another country (third world country) to make them. I was also shocked to learn that Nike does not own any factories in which the shoes are made. This helps the company profit more because they have a workforce that will produce the product for less than a dollar an hour. To me that is despicable. If I had it my way, companies would not be allowed to take their business overseas. They would stay here in the U.S., hire American workers, and pay them a decent salary with benefits.
Personally, I think it's genius the way companies market their products. By appealing to the sensitivities of the consumers, they establish a huge consumer base. Whoever is in charge of marketing some of these companies are doing one hell of a good job. I have been to many of these place before, and I have never really noticed it until I saw this documentary. It's funny how when I walk into Barnes and Noble and it looks more like a coffee shop (Starbucks) and when I walk into Starbucks it looks more like a bookstore (Barnes and Noble). After watching the documentary, I realize that Starbucks is selling the idea of community where people can gather and associate with other people. The idea that a person who walks into a Virgin music store and can have the sense that he or she is a rebel appeals to the young consumer. If you think about it, a cd is a cd, so what is the difference between buying one at Wal-mart and buying one at a Virgin music store.
However I may think about the marketing strageties of these companies, the government and consumers should create an enviroment in which U.S. companies can operate more in the U.S. instead of sending jobs overseas. People are the most important asset in the operation of a company. Perhaps the government can offer some tax breaks for companies if they open factories in the U.S..
The American consumer is vital to the U.S. economy. Corporations have figure this out. They figured out ways to lure consumers away from the competition by what I call "distractions" Two companies might sell the same product butoffer something other than the product itself. This ties into the concept of selling an idea; selling the idea of community, rebellion, and family values.

No comments: