Friday, December 5, 2008

Left Bank (Cucalorus Film)

This was a sorry attempt at making a horror movie. I didn't even understand what the hell it was. I was trying my best to sit up and watch the movie but I kept falling asleep. I was snoring so loud that the woman behind me tapped me on the head twice to get me to wake up. Now what was this movie about? It was about a woman I believe was living another life as a mother or something and she jumped ahead several year ahead to find out that she gave birth to a daughter and then disappeared mysteriously in her apartment building. I don't know; they don't make horror films like they used to. I grew up watching the Nightmare on Elm Street series and Friday the Thirteenth. Those films kept my attention; they actually had interesting characters that you can get excited by watching. I believe that most filmmakers today need to watch those films and learn how to make a real horror film because this one was garbage. One thing I can say about it was that it wasn't the typical horror film. It took place in another country and that was okay. It also featured a girl that was actually very smart. Most girls in horror movies are so dumb that they need to just go ahead and get cut the hell up. Also, the girl in this movie wasn't all that pretty and I don't mean that as an insult. She was a typical girl like most girls and that is alright by me.
The film in my opinion did not have a clear plot; at least in the first hour of the movie. Remember, I fell asleep. But, I wasn't asleep long enough to miss much. The film also had sort of an underlying love story in it. This young girl I believe was a runner. She became very ill dampening her hopes at becoming an Olympic athlete I believe. Instead of following the doctor's orders, she moves in with some man that she just met. She learns of a woman who disappeared and whatever and that she has this crazy love scene that in my opinion was just too damn graphic; even for somebody like me; and I love sex scenes if they are done correctly. But even then, it was made in another country, sex is something that is not taboo over there and they really don't have any type of rating system.
But after that scene, it started to get very boring. It turns out that her boyfriend was an archer or something years ago and he came back to life. But there was a scary scene; I admit . It was pretty weird. This woman went downstairs of her building because she heard a strange noise. When she came closer , she got sucked into the wall. The girl in the end suffered the same fate. Well, I wish I had something very positive to say about this movie, but I don't. I just hope the filmmakers would try to come up with a better story. When I left the theatre, a woman asked me how could I fall asleep to such a good movie? I was pretty angry at the way she asked me about it and I tried to ignore her. So I just said that I had just got off work and I was a little tired. She rolled her eyes at me because she knew that I was lying. I'm not a good liar. I didn't want to tell her that I thought the film was a joke and it was boring. But in my heart, I know the movie was just bad.

No comments: